Re: Info menu item bugs

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Info menu item bugs
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:34:23 +0000 (UTC)

   > First problem:  the only way I found to start Info in its `dir'
   > directory from the menu bar is to click on the `All Other Manuals
   > (Info)' subsubentry in the `More Manuals' subentry in the `Help' menu.
   > This is too far down the hierarchy for a novice.

   IMHO, an Emacs novice needs a quick way to the Emacs manual, not to
   the DIR menu.  The Emacs manual is on the Help menu.

Certainly, it is good to have the current menu item for the Emacs
manual.  But right below it we should have an entry

    All the manuals (Info)

   > Fifth problem:  After restarting Info, the `Reference' item continues
   > to be partially blanked out...

   Don't you get a tooltip when you your move the mouse pointer above
   that inactive menu item, telling you what the menu item does?

No, not with yesterday's CVS snapshot
configured with  --with-x-toolkit=gtk
started with

     /usr/local/bin/emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'

Hmm... tooltips are missing, since I do not get them when I turn on
tooltip-mode:

    (tooltip-mode 1)

You are right, tool tips are helpful, however

   Don't you get a tooltip ....
   If so, it is _not_ useless, IMHO: the tooltip teaches you what it
   would have done if it were active.

But the menu entry is *never* active.  That is the problem.  The
tooltip, if it existed, would teach you about something you cannot
get.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden