Re: Info menu item bugs

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Info menu item bugs
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:34:17 +0100 (CET)

>    Don't you get a tooltip when you your move the mouse pointer above
>    that inactive menu item, telling you what the menu item does?

Most toolkits (Lucid, Motif, Lesstif, GTK behave the same in this regard)
can not give tooltips for inactive menu entries.  Basically all events
are turned off for that entry so detecting if the mouse is over the item
is not easy to do.

> No, not with yesterday's CVS snapshot
> configured with  --with-x-toolkit=gtk
> started with
>
>      /usr/local/bin/emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'
>
> Hmm... tooltips are missing, since I do not get them when I turn on
> tooltip-mode:
>
>     (tooltip-mode 1)
>
> You are right, tool tips are helpful, however
>
>    Don't you get a tooltip ....
>    If so, it is _not_ useless, IMHO: the tooltip teaches you what it
>    would have done if it were active.
>
> But the menu entry is *never* active.  That is the problem.  The
> tooltip, if it existed, would teach you about something you cannot
> get.

Anyway, it must be a bug that the Info menu is placed to the left of File,
it should be to the right of Tools, as for 21.2.  It should also be
removed when exiting Info.  This bug happens for all versions of Emacs
I can compile (Motif, Lucid, GTK, no toolkit, no X).

Something must have happened in info-mode.

        Jan D.