Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:41:32 +0100

> We cannot tell this by asking the small number of people on this list.
> It would be necessary to conduct a poll.

I agree.  I'd prefer it if we find a solution that does not require a
poll.  :)

>     Personally, I only need one new variable, and I'd probably like it for
>     *all* situations: (and pop-up-windows important-pop-up-windows).  I
>     would like to add such a new variable to Emacs, and use it wherever
>     pop-up-windows is bound to t at the moment.
>
> This can't hurt, so perhaps this is the best way.

Good.

Stefan Monnier <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> It's going to change a lot of code, so it had better be a good
> solution rather than a quick fix.
> What's is an "important" pop-up-window ?

I have no idea.  Personally, I think that pop-up-windows should have
top priority and that elisp authors should never override it.  If we
assume that some people will set both pop-up-windows and
important-pop-up-windows to nil, then these people will start
complaining about sub-optimal user interfaces anyway, and some of
these places will get even more fixes, to be honest.

The pragmatic approach, however, is this:  I suggest that all the
places where somebody else decided to bind pop-up-windows to t are
considered "important" because at least one person considered it
important enough to write extra code.

With this approach, people that have set pop-up-windows to nil and
like the current approach are not disturbed, while people like me are
a bit better off, eventhough further changes will be desirable for
some of these places.

Alex.