Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:06:40 -0500

> > We cannot tell this by asking the small number of people on this list.
> > It would be necessary to conduct a poll.
>
> I agree.  I'd prefer it if we find a solution that does not require a
> poll.  :)
>
> >     Personally, I only need one new variable, and I'd probably like it for
> >     *all* situations: (and pop-up-windows important-pop-up-windows).  I
> >     would like to add such a new variable to Emacs, and use it wherever
> >     pop-up-windows is bound to t at the moment.
> >
> > This can't hurt, so perhaps this is the best way.
>
> Good.
>
> Stefan Monnier <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It's going to change a lot of code, so it had better be a good
> > solution rather than a quick fix.
> > What's is an "important" pop-up-window ?
>
> I have no idea.  Personally, I think that pop-up-windows should have
> top priority and that elisp authors should never override it.  If we
> assume that some people will set both pop-up-windows and
> important-pop-up-windows to nil, then these people will start
> complaining about sub-optimal user interfaces anyway, and some of
> these places will get even more fixes, to be honest.
>
> The pragmatic approach, however, is this:  I suggest that all the
> places where somebody else decided to bind pop-up-windows to t are
> considered "important" because at least one person considered it
> important enough to write extra code.
>
> With this approach, people that have set pop-up-windows to nil and
> like the current approach are not disturbed, while people like me are
> a bit better off, eventhough further changes will be desirable for
> some of these places.

But it still only gives a binary option between the current behavior
and the one you want.  If that's really all we want for now, I'd
recommend we change the code that uses pop-up-windows (mostly
display-buffer) so that it obeys an extra variables.
That gives you the same result without touching anybody else's code.

        Stefan