Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:02:53 +0000 (UTC)

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> wrote:

   "store window config in register" stores both the buffer and the
   position per window.  The way I work, I care neither about the exact
   position *nor* about the exact buffer ...

It sounds to me that you are seeking what GNOME/sawfish calls a
`group'.  As far as I know, GNU Emacs does not handle groups.  (I have
never used groups.)

However, they are an interesting idea.  As far as I can see, groups
can be instantiated in two overlapping ways:

  * as a cluster of windows in one frame, such as GNUS *Group*,
    *Summary* and *Article*.

  * as a cluster of frames (each with one or `grouped' windows)
    together and in the same relative position, as in SCWM.

(A third way would be `everything related to a project'.)

I would think that one of the `theme' functions should provide this
(or these) among other features.

   .... When I want to undo the effect of window splitting due to
   compilation and grepping, I really want to get the most recently
   used buffer for the project -- not the buffer current at the time a
   window configuration was stored in a register.

What you want is an additional kind of undo.  A `within the current
type of group' undo:  not an undo that pops the buffer pointer from
the current stack, but one that pops the stack of `significant buffers
for the current context'.

Challenging ideas.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden