Re: request for a new function, say, `sequence'

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: request for a new function, say, `sequence'
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:54:00 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 08:11:37AM +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:
>>  > Anyway, blue is the color for my bykeshed, what is yours ?
>>
>>  What is "bykeshed"?  My dictionary doesn't have that word.

> I guess he meant `bikeshed' (I've never seen it spelled `byke'), which is a
> reference to the tendency of people to argue more vociferously over minor
> issues than major ones.

Ah, I see.  I'm also not that happy about this dicussion.  I
haven't expected that my proposal meet such a big objection
(apart from the naming).  To me, the usefullness of the
functionality itself was apparent.

Anyway, it seems that the further discussion is a waste of
our time.  I'd like to ask Richard to decide it.  For the
moment, I'll put `indian-range' in lisp/language/ind-util.el
with autoload cookie.

> BTW, pale blue-green: I keep wanting to suggest that this function be called
> `iota', after the APL function with similar functionality.  I think various
> common-lisp/schemes versions of this function use this name (though I seem to
> recall that the function signature is usually
>   (iota COUNT &optional START INTERVAL)

Ah, it's more general, but not convenient for the current
situation where we want to specify START and END
explicitely.  Otherwise, the code gets difficult to read.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden

PS.  May I ask the nuance of the color "pale blue-green"?