Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:01:24 +0000 (UTC)

   ... I gave a rather short solution: Let pop-up-windows do what it
   is supposed to do -- prevent window splitting -- and we'll see how
   it goes and perhaps other things need fixing thereafter.

I am not quite sure I understand your suggestion.  The
`pop-up-windows' variable does not seem to be frame-oriented at all.

   Back when I used an ordinary window manager, I used frames to "group"
   stuff.  I had a Gnus frame, an IRC frame, a programming frame, etc.

Ah ... like running multiple instances of Emacs, each devoted to a
topic.  (As it happens, I am running four different instances right
now.)

Are you suggesting that I should be able to run one instance of Emacs,
but have a frame for my mail related buffers, a frame for my Emacs
Lisp related buffers, a frame for my CVS and compilation related
buffers, and so on?

This would require implementing a new function that might be called
`keep-same-frame'.  My current CVS/compilation `group' consists of
three buffers:  `how-to-emacs', `*cvs*', and `*compilation*'.

So, should I be able to run

    (keep-same-frame "how-to-emacs" "*cvs*")

and create a grouping of those two buffers, and then later run

    (keep-same-frame-addition "*compilation*")

to add to that grouping?

    What I'm trying to say is that we should not let ourselves get
    distracted by possible neat solutions to my problem, when a very
    simple and limited solution might solve my problem. ...

Good point.  But I don't see any simple solution, other than running
different instances of Emacs.  But I am often blind to what Emacs can
already do.  Does anyone know of a simple and limited solution to the
current problem?

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden