Re: Emacs GTK scroll-bar flickering

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs GTK scroll-bar flickering
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:06:25 +0100 (CET)

> "Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:
> > It turns out that since the container widget Emacs uses isn't double
> > buffered, all the children (scroll bars) does not get double buffering
> > either.
> >
> > I have checked in a fix for this (actually a couple a days ago, but it was
> > incomplete), hopefully it finally fixes this problem (hey, one can hope :-).
>
> Yes, this seems to have fixed the flickering problem completely
> (there are still some rough updates when the emacs window configuration
> changes, but that's a relatively rare event, and I guess this sort of
> thing is probably never going to be perfect, given that GTK is somewhat
> bolted onto emacs).

There are some issues I know about, for example the tool bar does not behave
at startup.  There are more redraws of GTK widgets than what is optimal.

> BTW, I find that I can get better scrolling behavior with emacs/GTK if I
> set `redisplay-dont-pause' to t -- otherwise, if I e.g., hold down a
> scroll key (say C-v), scrolling updates the scroll bar smoothly, but the
> text window only gets updated when I stop scrolling.  Any comment on
> this?  [My processor seems to be fast enough to keep up when
> redisplay-dont-pause is t]

It must be that the redisplay code decided to delay the redisplay
because of other input (keys or X events).
I can hardly see any difference when I set redisplay-dont-pause to t
but I imagine redisplay-dont-pause fills the same job as "smooth-scroll"
in xterm.  In that case what you see is the intended behaviour, less
redisplay to use less CPU-time.

        Jan D.