Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: 27 Mar 2003 16:41:30 -0500

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 16:42, Luc Teirlinck wrote:
> Owen Taylor wrote:
>
>    Frankly, I tend to turn off or just not look at the scrollbar because
>    these same issues make it behave in a confusing manner in general.
>    (Presumably, if you have a large chunks of hidden text anywhere in
>    your document, the scrollbar will go whacky.)
>
> An obvious alternative, assuming no satisfactory solution to your
> problem can be found, is:
>
> ./configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
>
> The native scrollbar does not have the problem.

By "go whacky", I didn't mean the problem with dragging off the
end, but simply that a character-based scrollbar is going to
inherently act in a confusing matter, especially in the
presence of invisible text.

I tend to suspect that whether the emacs scrollbar is character
based does _not_ depend on whether you are using toolkit
scrollbars, though I'm not about to recompile it to find out :-)

Regards,
                                     Owen