Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: 28 Mar 2003 10:42:50 +0900

Owen Taylor <address@hidden> writes:
>  * I've always found the emacs behavior with respect to the end of the
>    buffer quite confusing personally... I think it would be far
>    less confusing if the region that was scrolled was actually
>    confined to the lines of the buffer (or maybe lines in buffer + 1)

This is obviously a matter of taste; I would _hate_ it if emacs insisted
on preventing me from scrolling `past the end.'  [There are various
reasons; sometimes I want to hide distracting text, sometimes I want to
align text in adjacent windows a particular way, etc.]

Also note that when the amount of text is less than a full screen,
there's simply no choice -- emacs has to display empty space.  Thus, if
such empty space is confusing, another method must be found to clarify
it.

>    It's very easily in emacs's default configuration currently to
>    accidentally create text files with lots of trailing blank lines
>    since there is no visual differentiation between blank lines and
>    overscrolled space.

You can turn on `show-trailing-whitespace'.

I don't find this to be a problem, personally (note that the situation
is much better now that `next-line-add-newlines' defaults to nil).

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page