Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:21:18 -0500

    > What happens if the app specifies a position that is less than one
    > page away from the end?  Is that considered invalid?

    Not invalid, but the position is silently changed to be a page away from
the
    end.  GTK scroll bars adjust position values to be in the interval
    [minimum value for the scroll bar, maximum value - one page size]

I think GTK should have an option to accept such values
and display them in some sensible way.

    > My suggestion is to display a thumb that rises from the bottom of the
    > scroll bar, but is shorter than normal, as if the bottom of the thumb
    > were hidden beyond the end of the scroll bar.  Others may think
    > of a better way to indicate this situation.

    As the native scroll bars do?  The disadvantage is that then the
    thumb size in relation to the scroll bar size looses the
    connection of how much of the buffer you are seeing w.r.t. the
    size of the buffer.

Either we are miscommunicating about something basic, or I disagree.
In what I envision, the visible thumb size would reflect the amount of
real text visible in the window.  As window-start gets closer to
point-max, the amount of visible text decreases, and so should the
thumb size.