Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:20:48 -0500

     * I've always found the emacs behavior with respect to the end of the
       buffer quite confusing personally... I think it would be far
       less confusing if the region that was scrolled was actually
       confined to the lines of the buffer (or maybe lines in buffer + 1)

If you mean that it would be impossible for the end of the buffer to
be located above the last line of the window, that would be taking
away a feature that users are accustomed to.  We can't do that.

     * Allowing dragging the scrollbar thumb past the end of the
       trough is something I'm quite hesitant to do:

        - It will look like a bug to the user
        - Some themes may not be able to handle such a case nicely (think
          of a theme where the stepper arrows are round circles in the
          trough instead of being as wide as the trough ... in that
          case the thumb can't simply be truncated by the stepper arrow)

It isn't a bug, though--and what else should the scroll bar do?
What happens in those themes will be logical, and will show that
the current visible window extends past the end of the text.

        - The extra blank lines actually extend the scrollable space - that
          is, the thumb is always confined to the trough, it just shrinks
          to indicate the longer scrollbar space.

In Emacs, these aren't "extra blank lines".  Emacs doesn't extend
the buffer contents to reach the bottom of the window.
The Gnumeric behavior isn't right for Emacs.

The GUI for a program should reflect the data in the program,
not vice versa.