scrollbar (again)

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: scrollbar (again)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:29:26 -0600 (CST)

I am talking about either an emacs-21.3.50 configured with no options
(Xaw3d scroll bars, yesterday evening) or with ./configure
--without-toolkit-scroll-bars (native scrollbars, two days ago).

Do C-h i m emacs (just so we are talking about the same buffer).

Click with mouse-2 on the thumb (or slider, whatever you want to call
it) in the lower portion of the thumb, but clearly inside the thumb.
The idea is to start dragging the thumb around.  However, the buffer
immediately scrolls to some far away area.

Result of C-h k and click with mouse-2 on the thumb of the native
scrollbar:

<vertical-scroll-bar> <down-mouse-2> (translated from <down-mouse-2>)
runs the command scroll-bar-drag
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `scroll-bar'.
It is bound to <vertical-scroll-bar> <down-mouse-2>.
(scroll-bar-drag EVENT)

Scroll the window by dragging the scroll bar slider.
If you click outside the slider, the window scrolls to bring the
slider there.

Comment: we clicked *inside* the slider (thumb, whatever), no
automatic scrolling should have happened.

More surprises:
Result of C-h k and click with mouse-2 on the thumb of the Xaw3d
scrollbars:

<vertical-scroll-bar> <mouse-1> (translated from <mouse-1>) runs the
command scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `scroll-bar'.
It is bound to <vertical-scroll-bar> <mouse-1>.
(scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll EVENT)

Not documented.

Comment: mouse-1?  Is this normal?  I definitely clicked mouse-2.

Sincerely,

Luc.