Re: scrollbar (again)

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: scrollbar (again)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:39:26 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Click with mouse-2 on the thumb (or slider, whatever you want to call
> it) in the lower portion of the thumb, but clearly inside the thumb.
> The idea is to start dragging the thumb around.  However, the buffer
> immediately scrolls to some far away area.

IIRC, the behavior in the no-toolkit case is similar to xterm.  That
is, the top of the thumb will be warped to where you clicked mouse-2.

I agree that this makes it difficult to start dragging.  It's
something I don't like about this kind of scrollbar.  Nevertheless, I
think it's still the best scrollbar there is, functionality-wise.

I also used to like the OpenView (XView? OpenLook?) scrollbar that
was used in OpenWindows applications of yore.  It made it easier to
drag but didn't have the nifty "scroll N lines" feature that the
no-toolkit scrollbar has.

These days, I rarely use the scrollbar and thus circumvent the
problem...