Re: gdb-ui almosts works in NT

From: Jonathan Luntz
Subject: Re: gdb-ui almosts works in NT
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:38:06 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
[Redirected to emacs-devel.]

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:29:14 -0500
From: Jonathan Luntz <address@hidden>

I'm not usre if this classifies as a bug

IMHO, it does.

I'm trying to get gdba
working under NT Emacs.  Almost everything works.  One minor issue is
that gdb-ui.el is hardcoded at one point to use "/bin/cat", so I just
put a copy of the msys (mingw) cat.exe there.

It's wrong for Emacs to use such code, IMHO.  It should either invoke
`cat' (and let it be found along PATH), or, better, implement some
code that would eliminate the need for an external program altogether,
since `cat' is not guaranteed to be available on every platform
supported by Emacs.

It strikes me that it woyldn't be hard to eliminate the need for
`cat', since Emacs already has a means to visit files.

The only problem is I can't
get the program IO to run in the input/output window in emacs.  It
runs always in its own DOS window.

What compiler did you use to compile that program?  Was that MinGW's
GCC?

Yes - I used mingw to compile:
C:> g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 3.2 (mingw special 20020817-1)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

My code is very simple:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()