Re: skeleton.el _ versus @

From: Joe Kelsey
Subject: Re: skeleton.el _ versus @
Date: 31 Mar 2003 17:58:13 -0800

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 09:40, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > The current code allows the following trick:
> > >
> > >   "fun f (" @ ")" \n "{" \n _ \n "}"
> > >
> > > such that selecting a region and calling the skeleton will
> > > put the region in the body of the function (because of the _)
> > > and point will be put at the right place for you to enter the
> > > arglist (because of the @).
> >
> > This is using skeletons in "region" mode.  I am not changing region
> > mode, or at least I can modify the @ behavior so that it works in region
> > mode this way.
>
> But I also want point to end up at the "args" position in simple
> insertion which your patch would break.

If you want the point to end at args in "simple insertion", put the _
between the parens.

Your skeleton is a "region-insertion", not a "simple insertion".

You cannot have it both ways.

> I hate such modal interfaces, sorry.

I am sorry.  Get over it.  Modal interfaces are a good thing.

I feel it is now incumbent upon you to propose an alternative patch.

/Joe