Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 13:07:55 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Two applications, Emacs and PixelStuff start out with exactly one
> window height (say sixty lines) full of stuff.  Both allow
> overscrolling to put the last line at the top.  In Emacs, the thumb
> covers the entire length of the scrollbar, because all text is
> visible, in PixelStuff it covers approximately half (60/119) of the
> scrollbar.  We scroll to the bottom.  In PixelStuff, the thumb stays
> the same size and moves smoothly to the bottom, until it hits the
> bottom, exactly when the last line of real text gets at the top.  In
> Emacs, the thumb shrinks gradually to a size determined by (amount of
> characters on the last line) / (total amount of characters).  This is
> different behavior, not an extension of behavior.

I agree that this would be confusing, but until now I thought that
Emacs was the only (Gtk) program which exhibited PixelStuff behavior.

So I thought the issue was whether to change the only application
that exhibits deviating behavior to exhibit another deviating
behavior.

But the thread is so long, I might have missed or forgotten some
things.