Re: 8859 unification and Emacs' ChangeLog files

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 8859 unification and Emacs' ChangeLog files
Date: 03 Apr 2003 21:52:33 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> > Of course, there might be other files where iso-8859 characters might
> > be present in different encodings.  Is it right to say that these
> > files must be encoded in iso-2022 or in emacs-mule, because no other
> > encodings distinguish between Latin-1 ä and Latin-2 ä, say?
>
> Yes, many of the files in leim, lisp/international and lisp/language
> need to make the distinction between different Latin charsets.

I think this points to a need for an easy way to turn off unification
for a file, perhaps with an extension to the "coding:" cookie, or some
similar mechanism (at worst, use the general local-variable
mechanism, but this seems like it might justify something special
that does not give the user the option to ignore it).