Man-getpage-in-background: set half an env var?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Man-getpage-in-background: set half an env var?
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 22:05:27 +0200

The function either calls the man command via start-process or via
call-process, depending on (fboundp 'start-process).  In the
call-process case, the environment variable GROFF_NO_SGR is set to 1,
but in the start-process case, this does not happen.

Is this intentional?

(I have no idea what the env var does; "man groff" doesn't say.
Maybe if I knew I'd also know that my question was silly.  But as it
is, maybe a comment in the source code could be useful?)