Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 22:30:49 -0400

    I don't think there has been a satisfactory explanation of how you
    are going to deal with minimum size issues; which for some themes
    occur on quite moderately sized buffers. (As I said earlier, for
    Red Hat's default theme, the minimum scrollbar thumb size is
    ~30 pixels)

I see how the minimum thumb size will sometimes give a misleading idea
of what fraction of the file is visible.  That can happen even without
overscrolling, but whether it is a problem is a matter people might
disagree about.

Aside form that, what issue is there with minimum size?

    If you connect to the "adjust_bounds" signal on GtkRange (the
    base class for GtkScrollbar), this gives you the chance, when
    the user clicks the arrows or drags the thumb, to adjust
    the bounds and/or page size *before* GTK+ clamps the position.

Thanks.  Jan, could you see if this method works?