Re: Subject headers constructed by rmail-forward

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Subject headers constructed by rmail-forward
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 02:45:32 -0400

    When rmail-forward constructs a subject line for a forwarded message,
    it produces something like:

    Subject: [original_from_address: original subject]

That is a very useful and important feature.
We should not change it.

    I think it ought not to include the email address of the original
    sender in the subject header. The reason is that this possibility
    seems to be overlooked by some anti-spam-harvester devices.

    For example, that of mail.gnu.org, http://mail.gnu.org/spam.html.
    Email addresses appearing in message *bodies* are protected, as are
    those appearing in From: headers, but any in the Subject: header are
    left intact. For example,
    http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-04/msg00024.html.

Clearly that program ought to treat the subject like the body.
I will ask our sysadmin to deal with this.