Re: \225 and so on

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: \225 and so on
Date: 08 Apr 2003 15:07:10 +0200

Hi Eli,

> I don't think this will help Richard, as he doesn't use Gnus.

I understand that.  I was just trying to add some experience about the
problem.

The generic algorithm (if you can call it that) seems usefull to me
and applicable to other email readers.  It also directly captures the
problem as I understand it, namely that some email messages are simply
mis-labeled in a fairly predictable way.

Of course for a generic solution other coding systems would have to be
considered, for those people that do not use latin-1 primarily.  I
guess in some cases the interactions may be more complicated and the
problems less predictable.

> > cp1252 is in lisp/international/code-pages.el in CVS Emacs.
>
> Doesn't that map those characters into mule-unicode-* charsets?

Is that a problem?  It is not a problem for me (quite the contrary),
but if it is a problem in general, an alternative implementation for
these coding systems should be created perhaps?

so long, benny