Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:36:27 -0400

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:56:59AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> The problem I see with a minimum size is that the technique of
> shrinking the thumb to represent overscrolling won't work if the
> scrollbar thumb is already at its minimum size.

Then people won't be able to overscroll using the scrollbar in that case.

I don't think it matters that much, really, and it certainly isn't a reason
to not use such a natural method for overscrolling in the cases where it
_does_ work.  If someone can think of a better method that _always works,
great, but so far this is the best.

[I now feel certain that the current method used in emacs/gtk for
overscrolling (leaving extra empty space at the end to allow overscrolling)
is wrong, because I keep being annoyed that it doesn't clearly indicate the
end-of-buffer-shown condition]

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde