Re: eval-after-load as a macro (and eval-next-after-load)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: eval-after-load as a macro (and eval-next-after-load)
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:59:24 -0400

    However, such hooks (e.g. cua-mode-hook) are normally for users to
    set, so if a package like crisp modifies it (too), Customize will
    report "this variable is set outside custom"

It is normal for Lisp packages to modify hooks.  We mustn't base the
discussion on the assumption that this is somehow anomalous.

    IMO, that is an unnecessary complication, when eval-after-load does
    the job perfectly.

It makes no sense to argue that people should avoid using hooks for
this sort of customization.  This is the reason for the hooks.

It could be useful to clean up the way Custom handles hooks.  For
instance, if Custom sees elements in the hook that it did not put
there, it could automatically divide the elements into two parts:
those specified thru Custom, and those specified outside Custom.
The user, in Custom, would edit only the former.  This way, one
hook variable would do both jobs, and we would not have to change
any packages.