Re: [Bug] Issues with format.el: coding system, byte/char confusi on

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Bug] Issues with format.el: coding system, byte/char confusi on
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:39:24 -0400

     > That would be true, if there is anything in
     > after-insert-file-functions other than
     > after-insert-file-set-buffer-file-coding-system.  Normally I believe
     > there isn't anything else.

    What does this mean?  Is `after-insert-file-functions' obsolete without
    being declared as such?

It is not obsolete.  What I am saying is that normally the only
element of after-insert-file-functions is
after-insert-file-set-buffer-file-coding-system.

If you add other elements, you can choose where to put them.

     > Not necessarily.  That would depend on what those other functions are.
     > Normally there aren't any others.  I suppose if you add other functions
     > to this hook that you should put them in the proper order.

    As I said, the coding system is determined not only after some functions
    in this hook, but also after the format-decode functions.

I think I am totally lost now.