Re: file-symlink-p for remote files?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: file-symlink-p for remote files?
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:56:16 +0200

> file-symlink-p should return the exact link target.  (When the target
> is relative, file-symlink-p returns the relative name.)

I confess that I'm rather surprised by this decision.  It appears to
be inconsistent with another decision on make-symbolic-link that you
took some months ago.

It seems to me that the target of a symlink should either be
interpreted as a string by both functions, or it should be
interpreted as a filename by both functions.

So much for my opinion.  Some observations:

Previously, you decided that the target of the symlink (the first arg
FILENAME) should be interpreted as a filename for make-symbolic-link.

Another issue that might play a role is backward compatibility.  In
the past, Ange-FTP has interpreted the symlink target as a filename
in file-symlink-p.  Ange-FTP does not implement make-symbolic-link.

What do you think?