Re: skeleton.el _ versus @

From: Joe Kelsey
Subject: Re: skeleton.el _ versus @
Date: 09 Apr 2003 17:00:03 -0700

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 09:26, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > But then going and changing it incompatibly a few years later, breaking
> > existing skeletons is a behaviour worthy of the Bushs and Saddams of this
> > world!  At the very least this should be advertised to all those concerned,
> > and help offered in fixing the skeletons this breaks!
>
> I actually did look around and didn't find any skeleton where the
> change introduced problems.  Then (while pretesting 21.1) someone
> pointed out a case where the new behavior was not as good
> as before (the position of point after insertion was fine but
> the fact that the first @ had not been put on skeleton-positions
> was a problem), which I addressed (by adding the position to
> skeleton-positions even when it also sets position-point).

These are all very weak excuses.  The fact is, you *broke it* in an
incompatible way.

If you want this behavior, fork out skeleton.el from the distribution
and install it as a personal package.

The only reason you couldn't find skeletons which broke is beacuse you
did not look farther than the core sources.  If you had been an mmm-mode
user, you would have noticed the bad behavior immediately.

I formally request atht this bad change be withdrawn from the sources.
Stefan can install his own personal version on his own personal machine.

/Joe