Re: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:43:03 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Wedler, Christoph" <address@hidden> writes:
> [Test using Emacs-21.2.95.1.]
> Sometimes, the echo area is unnecessarily resized, e.g. reserves too
> many lines:

>  1. Select input method `korean-symbol':
>        C-u C-\ korean-symbol RET

>  2. In the buffer, enter the 4 characters
>        f r a c

>   => Emacs reserves 2 lines for the echo area, while only one is
>   necessary

> My guess is that this is due to var-width fonts ...

I guess so.  Perhaps, your Korean font is taller than the
frame's default font.  What happens if you evalute this?
        (message _SOME_KOREAN_STRING_)

Anyway, I've just changed quail to use `message' for showing
the guidance in CVS HEAD.  So, if you set
resize-mini-windows to nil, the echo area won't be resized.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden