Re: Cascading Menus in Popup-Menus

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Cascading Menus in Popup-Menus
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 07:23:59 -0400

If this works in 21.2 and fails in 21.3,
can you find which change causes the problem?
You can do this by taking various files from 21.2
into 21.3, and seeing when it starts to work again.

Strange, there are seem to be no changes in the only file
that I would expect to really matter, xmenu.c.

    With emacs 21.3 cascading-menus in popup-menus don't work as expected.
    Example:
    Click SHIFT-Mouse1 on the edit area.
    The "Font menu" pops up.
    Here it contains three entries "Misc", "Courier" and "Fontset".
    Each of this is a cascading submenu.
    If you move the mouse over one of the entries _with_ SHIFT still
    pressed, nothing happens. I have to release SHIFT over the selected
    entry to have the menu pop out.

    Note:
    This worked correctly with 21.2.
    But 21.2. had the problem that cascading menus in the menu-bar didn't
    work in a similar way:

    To pop the menu out, (e.g. Edit/Search) one had to _release_ the
    mouse-button over the entry.
    This problem was fixed in 21.3. (Maybe there is a connection between these).

I cannot see in src/ChangeLog what might be responsible for fixing that.