Re: Emacs, colors and gdk-pixbuf.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs, colors and gdk-pixbuf.
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:43:59 +0200

söndagen den 13 april 2003 kl 22.31 skrev David Kastrup:

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

Some time ago there was some discussion about improving image and
color handling in Emacs.

Meaning that I said "oh this sucks so bad, can't be do something
about it?".  And of course the easiest way out is to use existing
code that sucks less.  There is a disadvantage of course: it is not
nice if the only Emacs that offers reasonable performance and
semantics for images and colors is the GTK version.  There are two
answers to that:

It is quite possible to use gdk-pixbuf with other toolkits.  I made all
my tests with Lucid to make sure.

a) other toolkits usually should also have their own favorite ways of
dealing with the same problem, so one could try shifting work load
more into the toolkits if that is found to be the case.

b) the generic Emacs code for handling the stuff gets an overhaul.

First, gdk-pixbuf is inherently single displayed.  This means that
Emacs would be limited to one display.  Since GTK also is
single-displayed (perhaps not 2.2, there has been talk about some
changes, I haven't checked this yet), we could make gdk-pixbuf the
default for GTK.

From the release announcements:

    GTK+-2.1.5 is now available for download at:

     ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.1/

    This is the final prerelease before GTK+-2.2. The major
    change as compared to the stable GTK+-2.0.6 is support for
    multiple displays and multiple screens in GDK, although there are
    numerous minor changes as well.

Unfortunately, this does not apply to the X11 rendering part of
gdk-pixbuf.  It is still single display only.

Since Emacs is potentially multiheaded (see, for example, the
talk-connect function), it would probably be better if the GTK port
followed suit where possible and supported.

I will add that eventually.

        Jan D.