Re: Incorporating patches into GNU Emacs

From: Steve Youngs
Subject: Re: Incorporating patches into GNU Emacs
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 18:27:44 +1000

|--==> "BW" == Bill Wohler <address@hidden> writes:

  BW> Can you simply incorporate their patch and give them credit in
  BW> the ChangeLog?

  BW> Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:
  >>The way I understand it, no.

  BW> Strictly speaking, you're probably right.

  BW> Still, I find it hard to believe that a) every Emacs user on the planet
  BW> has submitted papers to the FSF or

Of course not.  There's no reason for it.  You don't need to assign
anything to just use Emacs.

  BW> b) no patches have been incorporated into Emacs from folks who
  BW>    haven't submitted papers. Where's the middle ground?

The FSF, at its discretion, can waive the requirement of an
assignment.  What the FSF takes into account when making such a
decision, I couldn't say.  They'd more than likely have some sort of
"rule of thumb" that balances aggregated code already accepted plus
the current patch against the risk.

And that's just a long-winded way of saying "it depends". :-)

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 10D5C9C5>---|
|        XEmacs - The only _______ you'll ever need.       |