Re: Rationale for split-string?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Rationale for split-string?
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:14:31 -0400

      RS> I know of no reason to want them to be different.

    Fantastic!  Steve Turnbull is a thorough guy, so I'm sure that he will
    send you a patch so you can fix GNU/Emacs' split-string.

First we need to figure out what is the right behavior for that
function.  People are already discussing the question...

    >   (split-string ",,data,," ",")

Is that wrong?  If so, what result do you think is right?
("" "" "data" "" "") could be argued for, but I am not sure
it is better.

    A gross hack is to test if the last char of the regexp is ?+
    and if so get rid of empty strings at start and end.
    It should take care of 99% of the cases.

That is a kludge.  Whatever we do, it should not be that.