Re: hanging punctuation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: hanging punctuation
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:49:44 +0200 (CEST)

> > Set the right margin to 72 characters and do C-u M-q:
> >
> >   The file found in "include/freetype/config/ftoption.h" contains a list
> >   of commented configuration macros that can be toggled by developers to
> >   indicate which features should be active in their build of the library.
> >
> > Note the hanging final full stop.  Basically, this is very nice
> > from a typographical point of view, nevertheless, it is a bug
> > since you can replace the `.' with any other character and it
> > still sticks out one character.
>
> When reporting such bugs it is immensely useful if you can tell us
> whether or not the bug that was present in older versions and if so
> which one is the latest one you know worked correctly.

I've no idea, sorry.  I believe that this behaviour is rather recent
-- at least, I've never noticed it before, and I'm quite sensitive to
such things.

> I.e. in the ideal situation the report comes with a note "this
> behavior was changed by the following commit...", but even
> if you don't go through the trouble of figuring out such a precise
> "last version working", please tell us as much of the history
> of the bug as you can come up with.

Well, I simply don't have the time to do that.  I'm in preparation of
the next groff version which costs an incredible amount of time,
really.

    Werner