Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8

From: Jan D.
Subject: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:43:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hello.

Maybe I am doing this wrong, but here is what I try to do.
My language environment is ISO-8859-1.
I have a directory that contains files with file names in UTF-8.
I start dired on that directory.  I want to see the UTF-8 characters
so I do C-x RET r utf-8.  File names display OK now.

But when trying to operate on a file, say opening it, I get
"File no longer exists; type `g' to update Dired buffer"
It seems that dired does not keep the original file name around, but
tries to open with the display name representation of the file name.

When I type g, I loose the UTF-8 coding and files are now displayed
as ISO-8859-1 again.  Setting buffer coding to UTF-8 does not help.

Do I have to set file-name-coding-system to UTF-8?  This solves the
problem, but my file-name-coding-system is really ISO-8859-1, it is
just this one directory that is UTF-8.

Thanks,

        Jan D.