Re: Gnu Emacs way slower than XEmacs

From: Ben Wing
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs way slower than XEmacs
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:41:58 -0700

actually it was kirill katsnelson who did most of the work on processes and
networks, although i [a] scrapped the synchronous process stuff and rewrote it
using async, [b] added the abstracted stream interface.

but basically, the old gnu emacs way involved trying to simulate select[] and
other unix operations using windows, ala cygwin.  kirill scrapped all of the
process and network code for both windows and unix and rewrote it using an
abstraction layer that obviated the need to play games.  it doesn't look like
this has changed significantly in recent gnu emacsen.  there is no obvious
reason why emulation *has* to be slower, but in practice it often gets that way
because [a] the low-level code sometimes does unnecessary things to make the
emulation work., [b] it is hard to sort out what's really going on, and hence
[c] people are reluctant to make real changes.  as it is, i have seen a few
patches come into xemacs over the years from random contributors to speed up the
process/network code by putting a sleep or yield or buffering change or whatever
in certain critical places, and it seems less likely these would have appeared
without the clean abstracted design.

we do use async i/o with winsock.

ben