Re: Development package hint in INSTALL for GNU/Linux?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Development package hint in INSTALL for GNU/Linux?
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:37:24 +0900

    Kai> From time to time, I see that people are having problems to
    Kai> compile Emacs under GNU/Linux, because many distributions
    Kai> don't install the development packages by default.

    Kai> What do people think about a hint such as the following in
    Kai> INSTALL?

XEmacs has had a similar entry in PROBLEMS for over a year, and it
since then the frequency of such questions has dropped noticably.  On
that basis I recommend it.

*** I know I have libfoo installed, but configure doesn't find it.

Typical of Linux systems with package managers.  To link with a shared
library, you only need the shared library.  To compile objects that
link with it, you need the headers---and distros don't provide them with
the libraries.  You need the additional "development" package, too.

It's my original text, and already copyright FSF per my assign.future
for XEmacs.