Re: More Cyrillic vs UTF-8

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: More Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:35:48 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>>  Unsupported:
>>
>>  CJK Unified Ideographs Extension A (1.5MB)
>>  CJK Unified Ideographs (5MB)
[...]
>>  Supplementary Private Use Area-A
>>  Supplementary Private Use Area-B

> It seems that these might be summarized by CJK, Music, Maths, Private
> Use Area.

Private Use Area in U+E000..U+F8FF are supported.

>     +* Encoding some characters as Unicode is rejected by Emacs.
>     +
>     +Emacs currently only supports the parts of the BMP whose codepoints
>     +are in the ranges 0000-33ff and e000-ffff.  If you try to save a file
>     +containing characters with code points outside this range, Emacs will
>     +suggest other compatible coding systems.

> That is clearer; it's written in terms of behavior the user sees.
> I agree with the people who said that the codepoint numbers may not
> be clear enough.

Perhaps, it is better to mention utf-translate-cjk mode as this.

* Encoding some characters as Unicode (UTF-8) is rejected by Emacs.

Emacs currently, by default, only supports the parts of the
BMP whose codepoints are in the ranges 0000-33ff and
e000-ffff.  This excludes CJK, Yi, Music, and Maths.

If you try to save a file containing characters with code
points outside this range, Emacs will suggest other
compatible coding systems.

By turing Utf-Translate-Cjk mode on, many more CJK
characters are included in the support.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden