Re: MML charset tag regression

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: MML charset tag regression
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:43:55 +0900

    Kenichi> 'UTF8_STRING has been recently introduced in XFree86, and
    Kenichi> there are many clients that still doesn't support it.

I thought the UTF-8 interfaces of XFree86 were deprecated because they
are redundant (extended segments work fine, and XFree86 already uses
them even where specifically prohibited by the ICCCM, namely for ISO
8859/15), and I thought the X Consortium opposed it.  It was discussed
on emacs-devel about a year ago.  Has this changed?

    Kenichi> Perhaps, we should make Emacs to request UTF8_STRING at
    Kenichi> first if the locale is UTF8, and if that request fails,
    Kenichi> request COMPOUND_TEXT.

Surely this will need to be configurable in Lisp, maybe even
controlled by the user.  The variety of conventions used by
applications is too wide, and the standards hard to interpret.