Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:49:59 -0400

> Can't we move binary down below UTF-8 in CVS?  IMHO we should move
> UTF-8 earlier still, since determining whether data is UTF-8 or not
> can be done with good probability.  Prefering binary over UTF-8 seems

Agreed, but I think one of the problems is that the preference-ordering
is the same for load-time-detection as it is for save-time-detection,
so if you move utf-8 up for detection you end up saving all new files
in utf-8 which is not OK in non-utf-8 locales.
I suggested introducing a second preference-order, but nothing came
out of it (probably because I didn't code anything up).

        Stefan