Re: Development package hint in INSTALL for GNU/Linux?

From: Andreas Davour
Subject: Re: Development package hint in INSTALL for GNU/Linux?
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:06:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     +Many GNU/Linux systems do not come with development packages by
>     +default; they just include the files that you need to run Emacs, but
>     +not those you need to compile it.  For example, to compile Emacs with
>     +X11 support, you may need to install the special `X11 development'
>     +package.
>
> The general idea is good, but I think that "X11 development package"
> is too vague.  It would be good to list the names it has in Debian and
> Red Hat.  And likewise for a couple of other specific packages one
> may need.

Maybe it's best to just note that the header files are needed. If we start
mentioning Debian/RedHat package names they'll probably change names next
week. Or is it more than the header files that are needed? Is it at all
possible to be helpful with such a message without risking to omit some
library or other? I don't say I don't like the idea, but it could be quite
hairy to write something that don't mislead.

/andreas

                        mail: address@hidden
                        or try: address@hidden
groove out at: http://www.update.uu.se/~ante/