Re: More Cyrillic vs UTF-8

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: More Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:00:01 -0400 (EDT)

By the way, SergeyFleytin <address@hidden> just posted a message to
the Emacspeak mailing list that he is using a version of Emacspeak
that converts Cyrillic text to spoken Russian.

I don't know how good this is, nor its licenses (I asked him), but
you might want to listen as well as read Russian.

The FTP site is:

    ftp://ftp.rakurs.spb.ru/pub/Goga/

Sergey says

    I am using emacspeak with a so called 'multilingual server'. It
    was written by one of the Russian programmers, who also wrote a
    Russian tts engine for it. This server uses freephone&mbrola for
    English and ru_tts for Russian. Moreover, that person also
    produced a special installation cd-rom called 'slackspeak'. On
    that disk one would find pre-installed, ready to use,
    speech-enabled linux system. It uses emacspeak as a speech
    interface and uses only software synth for output. If the system
    fails to recognize your sound card, the output is directed to the
    pc-speaker. You can either boot directly from that cd or start it
    from dos promt.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden