Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:42:27 +0900

    Simon> I agree it would be useful to be able to configure
    Simon> different loading and saving time preferences.  Then I
    Simon> would be able to specify that emacs should try to save data
    Simon> as ascii first, then latin-1, then latin-9 and then UTF-8,
    Simon> then give up and ask.  On loading, I'd want it to try
    Simon> latin-9 instead of latin-1 though.  In non-UTF-8 locales, I
    Simon> think this behaviour is what many europeans would want.

latin-unity provides this (but basically only for Latin scripts).  I
don't think it works under GNU Emacs, and it's pretty crufty, but it's
all my code and is assigned to the FSF.  So if somebody wants to port/
improve, I'll be happy to answer questions.  NB: probably requires
Mule-UCS, although I imagine emacs-unicode has the necessary
facilities to build tables.

cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/pack/xemacscvs checkout latin-unity

(password is either null or "cvs", I forget).