Re: Development package hint in INSTALL for GNU/Linux?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Development package hint in INSTALL for GNU/Linux?
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:44:10 -0400

    Maybe it's best to just note that the header files are needed. If we start
    mentioning Debian/RedHat package names they'll probably change names next
    week.

Don't worry about that.  We can say that these were the names as of
such and such a month.  It is better to give names that may have changed
than not give them at all.

          Or is it more than the header files that are needed?

It is not just headers.  Often the linkable versions of the shared
libraries are in separate packages.