Customizing fontsets (was: Cyrillic vs UTF-8)

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Customizing fontsets (was: Cyrillic vs UTF-8)
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 20:03:08 +0200

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>> It seems to work, thanks.  Wouldn't it be useful to at least be able
>> to customize the fontset?  Requiring use of X resources to get Unicode
>> to show up correctly is not user friendly.
>
> Unfortunately, a fontset is not a variable, thus can't be
> customized easily.
[...]

But wouldn't it be an option to add a `custom-set-fontsets' besides
`custom-set-faces' and `custom-set-variables'? It would make sense IMO
to treat the short alias names that way. I.e.
`M-x customize-fontset RET fontset-default RET' could simply work and
it could be consistent with the rest of the customization interface
from the user's point of view.

In fact I started to work on it. (That's the deeper reason for my
patch to `set-fontset-font'.) I am mostly in the state of reading the
code for fontsets and for customize respectively, though.

Currently I wonder what the default values should be that a
"fontset-widget" should present to the user. The return-value of
`fontset-info' is simply to large, I think. It seems weird that a user
should specify a fontset covering two or three charsets in her .emacs
or in .Xresources -- and is confronted with a list of dozens of
charsets then, when she wants to customize it later.

    Oliver
--
12 Floréal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!