Re: Customizing fontsets

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Customizing fontsets
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 02:33:03 +0200

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:

> Oliver Scholz <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
>> Currently I wonder what the default values should be that a
>> "fontset-widget" should present to the user. The return-value of
>> `fontset-info' is simply to large, I think. It seems weird that a user
>> should specify a fontset covering two or three charsets in her .emacs
>> or in .Xresources -- and is confronted with a list of dozens of
>> charsets then, when she wants to customize it later.
>
> I don't understand.  When you run M-x customize-fontset RET
> fontset-default RET, you expect to see a widget that explains the
> value of "fontset-default", and offer a way to change it.  Thus, all
> the info returned by (fontset-info "fontset-default") must be visible
> and editable at some point.[...]

To give an example: I have the following in my .emacs (simplified):

(create-fontset-from-fontset-spec "\
-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-fontset-egoge,\
mule-unicode-0100-24ff:-*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1")

Now, if I'd do `M-x custimize-fontset RET fontset-egoge RET', I'd
expect to see something like this:

Family: [b&h-lucidatypwriter                                      ]

[INS] [DEL] Charset:  [mule-unicode-0100-24ff                     ]
            Family:   [fixed-medium                               ]
            Registry: [iso10646-1
[INS]

But if we create this widget based on `fontset-info', I'd see a list
of dozens of charsets and character ranges. Have a look at it with
`M-x describe-fontset RET fontset-egoge RET'.

I'd say that this would be surprising, if not confusing for users
that are not familiar with Emacs' concepts of charsets and
fontsets.

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               14 Floréal an 211 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!