Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 5

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 5
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 11:15:16 +0300

Glenn, I have a few comments regarding the last changes in the FAQ.

> + Sometimes users are unsure as to where their @file{.emacs} file should
> + be found.  Visiting the file as @file{~/.emacs} from Emacs will find
> + the correct file.

I think every useful piece of information in the FAQ should be
indexed.  A FAQ, even more than a manual, is a large collection of
small pieces of information, so it is practically impossible to
quickly get to the info one is looking for without that info being
indexed.  The above snippet should certainly have an index entry,
IMHO.

> + The version available from @uref{http://meltin.net/hacks/emacs/} is
> + more recent, and has been tested under Emacs 21.2.

I think "under Emacs" sounds awkward.  "has been tested with Emacs
21.2" is better, in my opinion.

> ! The Emacs Lisp List (ELL),
> ! @uref{http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html}, maintained by

I think it's better to use @uref with 2 arguments here, like this:

   @uref{http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html, The Emacs
   Lisp List (ELL)}, maintained by

The results will look better in HTML, for example.

Same here: make "@file{ell} package" be part of @uref.

> ! Many authors post their packages to the newsgroup
> ! @uref{news:gnu.emacs.sources}.

And here.  I'd rewrite this as

   Many authors post their packages to the @uref{news:gnu.emacs.sources,
   Emacs sources news group}.

There are more such instances in the changes; I think almost all of
them should be revised as above.

> ! For a long time, the Emacs Lisp Archive provided a central repository
> ! for Emacs packages.  Sadly, it has not been active for some time,
> ! although you can still access the old files at

This should probably have an index entry, about the archive being
unmaintained.

> ! * AUC-TeX::
>   * BBDB::
>   * Ispell::
>   * w3-mode::
> --- 3874,3880 ----
>   * Supercite::
>   * Calc::
>   * VIPER::
> ! * AUCTeX::

Isn't "AUC-TeX" the official spelling of the package, as Per wants it?

Last, but not least, thanks for working on these changes!