Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 20:04:34 +0200

lördagen den 3 maj 2003 kl 17.03 skrev Richard Stallman:

I think I understand now. You mean if dired uses UTF8, and file system
    coding is Latin-1,

Why would Dired use UTF8 if the file name encoding is Latin-1?
Is this because the user set up perverse settings?
Or is there some natural, normal set of options
for which this would occur?

The situiation I have is that there are directories with file names in
different encodings.  Latin-1 is most frequent, which is why I say
file name encoding is latin-1.  But some directories contain other
encodings, UTF-8 among them.  Some of these are on network file
systems, so I have no control over them.  But I would like to
be able to view them in Emacs.

I guess UTF-8 will win out in the end, but there are a lot of old
systems around.

        Jan D.