Re: Where is @node Copying in the lispref?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Where is @node Copying in the lispref?
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 19:55:35 +0900

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

    rms> Would you please lay out the facts of the problem, and why
    rms> you think it is a problem.  Your description was fragmentary,
    rms> and I can't tell if there is a real problem or not.  I am
    rms> unable to follow the subsequent discussion.

The file elisp.texi declares

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with the
Invariant Sections being ``Copying'', with the Front-Cover texts being
``A GNU Manual'', and with the Back-Cover Texts as in (a) below.  A copy
of the license is included in the section entitled ``GNU Free
Documentation License''.

The section "Copying" is referenced here as an invariant section, and
in several menus in vol1.texi and vol2.texi (perhaps they are
obsolete?), but does not exist in the Lispref in CVS head as far as I
could find (ie, 'fgrep Copying *.texi*').  I believe that this makes
all copying of the Lispref risky, even verbatim copying, as it appears
that the legally required section may be missing.  I suspect it makes
modified versions illegal.

My guess was that the invariant section needs to refer to the node
containing the FDL.  Either the node could be renamed to "Copying" or
the invariant section could be changed to "GNU Free Documentation
License".

Eli said that it's the GNU GPL that is the intended invariant section,
in which case the invariant section would be "GNU General Public
License".

Looking at the example of the Emacs manual (where "Copying" == the GPL,
"Distribution", and "The GNU Manifesto" are invariant), I guess that's
the likely possibility.

N.B. If vol1.texi and vol2.texi are obsolete, they should be removed,
I think.  Else they probably should be updated to correspond to the
menu in elisp.ref.  Furthermore, they appear to contain different
licensing terms for the lispref (namely, the GPL).