RE: [Suggestion] New function `emacs-version>='

From: Wedler, Christoph
Subject: RE: [Suggestion] New function `emacs-version>='
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:10:53 +0200

Luc Teirlinck wrote:
 > Christoph Wedler wrote:

 >    (a constant `emacs-patch-level' would be useful then)

 > What would that constant represent?

Well, some emacs-minor-minor-version ;-)  I don't know the current Emacs
version numering scheme.

I thought it would be the 3rd number in `emacs-version' because the
Emacs-21.3 pre-releases had a useful numering scheme, i.e., they had
versions 21.2.90, 21.2.91, ...

Since there might be some bug-fix releases of Emacs-21.3 before
Emacs-21.4 is out, I would think it would be useful to have versions
numbers 21.3.0, 21.3.1 etc for them.  How do I distinguish between such
Emacs-21.3 versions now?  Or is the first bug fix of Emacs-21.3 called
Emacs-21.4 (and the second Emacs-21.5)?

I would also have guessed something similar for the Emacs development
version... (e.g., that they start with Emacs-21.3.40 or whatever...)

 > From the code of emacs-version>= you proposed, it would seem that it
 > would be say the "2" in emacs-21.3.2, representing the second
 > instance of 21.3 the user built in the given directory, or the "50",
 > in emacs-21.3.50.43 (or whatever).  If so, patch-level 50 for
 > emacs-21.3 could represent the 50th time that a "compulsive Emacs
 > builder" built Emacs-21.3 or it could represent a snapshot of
 > emacs-21.3.50.

Err, obviously, Emacs has a different the numering scheme...

 > That would not seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Indeed, but it could make sense if adopted to the Emacs version numering
scheme (which might need to be defined).

- Christoph