Re: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 13:09:01 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Wedler, Christoph" <address@hidden> writes:
> You're right, the ascent is one point higher.  I see, Emacs then wants
> to increase the height of the echo area, but its height must always be a
> multiple of the height of the default font.

Yes.

> Hm.  Unfortunately, Stefans idea didn't work: the echo area would be
> resized after the `sit-for' period.

I think it's not resized after the `sit-for', but the echo
area is redisplayed after the execution of the whole code.
Try this:

(let ((resize-mini-windows nil))
  (message "_TALL_MESSAGE_")
  (sit-for 0)
  (while t))

>>  By they way, even with the default value of resize-mini-windows
>>  (grow-only), the behaviour of quail input method should be improved.
>>  Previously, it resizes the echo area so frequently, but now it makes
>>  the area taller just once, and keep that hight until you turns the
>>  input method off.  Could you verify it?

> Well, I use Emacs-21.3...  I could try the development version if...

When you evalute the following two lines:

(defun define-button-type (&rest args))
(provide 'help-mode)

quail.el of the HEAD branch (attached) can be used.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden